Welcome to the Summit Youth Hockey Referees Page. Find information about becoming a USA Hockey Referee and the Colorado Amateur Hockey Official's Association.
Steps to Become a USA Hockey Official
- Register with USA Hockey as an Official.
- Enroll in the seminar appropriate to your level.
- Complete your USA Hockey Account to get access to your Profile information. (Your Profile will indicate your registration status; completed and missing components)
- You will receive a rule book in the mail. USA Hockey also has a rule book app.
- Complete the online video modules and open-book test. (Level 1 candidates will complete 90% of the modules just by attending the level 1 seminar).
- Once ALL required components are complete you will receive your certification card and current-season crest in the mail.
- For a nominal fee, join the Colorado Amateur Hockey Official's Association (CAHOA). Membership will get you access to the Horizon WebRef program which ALL schedulers use to schedule officials. Membership in the association is mandatory.
- Introduce yourself to the local schedulers in the valley to get started on your first games!
- USA Hockey certification will make you eligible to work both youth games and adult games. Adult leagues are run by various recreation departments and the employment qualifications/requirements vary.
USA HOCKEY OFFICIALS INFORMATION AND REGISTRATION
You must enroll in a seminar that matches the level for which you register. Seminars are available throughout the country and in the mountain/western slope region, in-person and online. (You can take ANY USA Hockey seminar, at any location, appropriate to your level, to fulfill your seminar requirement!) Seminar enrollment is on the website. Use the Seminar Search on the USA Hockey website under Officials. Find a seminar to fit your schedule and enroll today!
The Colorado Amateur Hockey Officials Association (CAHOA) is one of three officials associations in the state of Colorado. The Colorado Amateur Hockey Association (The Colorado state Affiliate of USA Hockey) requires all officials working in Colorado to be a member of one of the three associations. CAHOA is generally considered the officials association of the mountain and western slope region. Member dues are $30.00 annually.
CAHOA will waive dues for all first-year officials who complete Level 1 certification. *Check the box in the registration form
CAHOA will waive dues for officials 18U who complete certification of any level. *Check the box in the registration form
CAHOA offers the Toby Gard Scholarship for graduating High School seniors who have been active in CAHOA and their communities as USA Hockey referees.